Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Walk to Remember

Yesterday, we went to the M.E.N.D. (mommies enduring neonatal death) "Walk to Remember" to honor our boys' lives. We really had no idea what to expect as we have never been to something like this before and were not sure how it was going to affect us. It was absolutely beautiful outside and the ceremony was very well done. We were very glad we were told about this event and that we got to have another way to remember our boys. We didn't bring any friends or family because we wanted to do something special together. I think next year if we do this again, we will bring along family to let them share in the experience. We are so thankful that we can have opportunities like this to not only remember our boys, but also meet other people who know what we are going though and understand our loss.
They had a display table to put memories of your baby(ies) on, and I took the collage of the boys to put on it. I guess we are lucky because we have pictures and we got to spend time with them alive. So many didn't even have that!
There is a short walk around the church, some songs and then they call out each baby's name (even if it was a miscarriage) and the parents get up and take their glass ornament(s) and put it on a tree. The organization's logo is an angel holding a baby.
Then they have a big balloon launch. I thought it was quite fitting to have one because that is exactly what we had to do: release our boys up to Heaven where they will no longer be visible to us. We watched them go and there was no way of getting them back to us this side of eternity.
There were balloons for each member of the families that lost a baby, so at first I thought "my goodness there are a lot of babies!" (The picture only shows about a 1/3 of the balloons) There were about 450 people there and it was Really hard to hear when a family had lost more than one baby- especially when it was different pregnancies! There was one family who lost 4 babies in 4 different years!
The tree that we put our ornaments on.
Right before the balloon launch, we sang "Jesus Loves me."
It is hard to be in pictures right now because I don't feel like smiling in them, but yet that's all I know to do.
The two blue balloons are for Michael and Jake and the white one if for their triplet that we lost in June.
Jon and Allie released the balloons that we tied together. I love this picture!
"I know my sweet little girl, I want them back as well..."

4 comments:

Allie said...

Sweet sweet friend...I know this was a painful, yet nice way to think about the boys. I love the balloon pictures as well. They really capture and symbolize so much (like you said in your post). I am so glad you were able to go to this and be able to meet other families/moms. A beautiful day to say hi to your babies in the sky...

Libbie Hill said...

What a beautiful event! The analogy to the loss of your babies is so fitting. I hope this is another step on your path to healing. Your babies will NEVER be forgotten, but I hope the pain and sorrow you feel will begin to fade as God's hope and peace take their place. It's ok to smile - to rejoice in their lives. They have impacted SOOOO many others, and your faith and testament has touched so many people. OUr family continues to lift you up in prayer. I have no idea what you are going through, but I can only imagine the roller coaster of emotions you guys are on. One day at a time, friend! One day at a time. May you ask God to fill you with His abundant grace and mercy to get you through one day at a time.

Michelle said...

What another beautiful way to remember you sweet boys! We are continuing to pray for all of you. I hope with each passing day that your heart heals more and more. All of your post are such an amazing tribute to your boys. Thank you for opening your heart to all of us.
It was great seeing you yesterday!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the memories of your babies with us and the special meaning they brought to your lives. You have touched so many and we send our love and support to you and your family during this difficult time. I wish you healing and strength and that you and your family continue to grow in your love and adoration for one another. Much love and peace.