Friday, June 10, 2011

Trip to Daytona FL.

Memorial weekend I got to go to Daytona Beach for 6 days by myself!  We used our timeshare points and SW airline tickets, so the only real cost was the car rental and food!  It's a long story on how I actually got to go but it was wonderful to have time to think and just relax!  Jon took care of Allie and the first night I was gone, I told him that I would not give him any instructions with her because he could handle it and the best way to learn was to figure it out!  (Plus that is what I had to do and it gave me the confidence to know that I could do it!)  I was a little concerned the first night and wondered what I had gotten myself into, but that quickly passed! :O)
Although the town is famous for the race track (and it is HUGE), there was SO much to do!
My room had two balconies, full kitchen, living room, and this is the view from one balcony.
View from other balcony.  The hotel was located right by the boardwalk and a water park.
looking out the window
The 1st day was overcast and rainy at times, so I did a tour of a chocolate factory with lots of free samples at the end!
Then I went to a knitting store and ended up making a little hat (Allie can use on her dolls) and making some friends!

Kathleen owns the store and she was so nice to teach me so much.  She even invited me to go to the Minor league baseball game that night with them
The baseball field- this is the view from my table at lunch after knitting
A fun little park near by
I loved the landscape there!!!!!  I made  dinner at the hotel that night since I ate out for lunch.
Baseball game while it was drizzling!
They go to games and knit- called "stitch and pitch"!  Too fun
The next day I went running on the beach, had lunch on the beach and then in the afternoon went to the lighthouse
There were 203 very steep stairs that made me very dizzy!

Great views at the top though!
One side is the beach with waves and the other side is an inlet and more like a lake with lots of boats.
Not many pictures of me on this trip!
looking down
right across the street from the light house was a fun restaurant on the water with a guy playing guitar.  I LOVE going to places like this- so fun!  and it's really not that bad to eat out alone!


Later that night (Saturday) I went to the boardwalk for a Memorial Day celebration concert.
The whole place filled up and I was probably one of the younger ones in the audience! The guy who sat next to me was in his 80's and served in the Korean War.  He was having a fun time trying to flirt with me!!
I had some yummy ice cream and I didn't have to share one drop of it!
Fighter jets passing over
Sunday, I did some more jogging  on the beach and got a nice tan!  It was not that crowded either!  It might have been just my location as you had to be a part of the hotels to be there.  The weather was awesome and although the water was cold at first, it was so much better than Galveston! I read "Water for Elephants" and a parts of other books as well.
My hotel is the one on the right- looks like a dwarf next to the other one!
Fun bikes on the beach
THis was my spot- I bought the chair for $10 at the store and laid my towel out.  I brought my own drinks and food too!
Monday morning I went to the Botanical gardens and it put Brazos Bend park to shame!  Absolutely beautiful oak trees with moss everywhere!

There were stone dinosaurs in the park
Later that day, I went to the beach again and the Hare Krishna's were parading through "thanking the Vets for religious freedom"- it was crazy!

Then dinner at another restuarant out on the water!  LOVE it!  There was  even an old couple out of the dance floor having a grand time!  It made me smile to watch them!  I do miss dancing...
So pretty
This cracked me up!  We saw them do this with cars in NYC, but I had never seen boats!
Monday night I went along the boardwalk

It was actually chilly at night with ocean breeze
I had just finished reading "Water for Elephants" and I felt like I was in the book at the circus!  It was fun!
Fire juggler
My last day, Tuesday,  I drove up the coast about an hour  to St. Augustine.  It was a beautiful drive and I LOVE that city!  I never expected to find so much great stuff in this part of Florida!!  I went the Fountain of Youth and drank some of the water that Ponce De Leon claimed would make you young forever- let's hope it worked!
Look at this street outside the park!!!
Recreating the scene!! HA
Fun little trains take you around the town
I was talking to Jon on the phone and this peacock was making so much noise!
The old city with so many fun shops!
I sat here in this garden eating my lunch (that I packed)
(I have some great videos, but for some reason they are not uploading- oh well!)
The old Citadel and  there were dolphins swimming right here- but you can't see them in the picture

This is known as the oldest house (in Florida??)  I was too cheap to go in!
Thanks for going on my trip with me!  It was good to rediscover myself again and I am a fun person and I like being with me!  I think I have been so stressed over the last couple of years that I had forgotten who I was and this trip helped me see that!
Jon did great with Allie and even took her to the beach (she loved it!).  He said when I got home that he needed a vacation after that, and that it was good for him to be responsible for making sure she ate and slept when she needed to!  I was glad to hear that!  I think I learned that so many times we as moms don't give the dads the chance to learn how to do it on their own with the kids!  I think it is good for dads to have the kid(s) by themselves for a few days to see that it is not only fun and rewarding- but hard work! - but that they can do it as well!  
BTW- Daytona is a great place to go on a family vacation-I think we will have to go back sometime soon!

4 comments:

The Smiths said...

looks like a fun trip - how nice to have some time to yourself! My favorite part - getting to eat ice cream without sharing one bite. Pure Bliss!

Allie said...

Hey!! Just read this!! WOW! Looks like so much fun! I am glad you had a great time relaxing and getting back to "Tiffany". The restaurant on the water looks amazing. I also love little places where bands play.
I loved all of the pictures and loved to see you smiling in them!! Looks like you really had a nice time. Good for Jon too!!!!

Alicia Searl said...

So jealous... ha ha!! I am so glad you got to get away- you totally deserved it and I am sure it was much needed:)

kim klubnik said...

We just got back from Kauai, though we had no desire to return, I read water for elephants as well! Hope you are doing well. I think of you often. I enjoyed looking through your blog and catching up with your life. Allie is absolutely adorable! Love you, Kim