So, I started asking some friends about this and I also saw some posts on face book from friends about how certain foods (or things put into foods) have a huge impact on kids (mainly because their bodies are so small and it is easy to detect). So this post will be about what we have changed and the next one will be more about WHY the stuff is so bad! I have been putting this off because I don't feel like I will give it justice or say things the right way. But, I need to just try and see how it goes!
The first part of January, Jon discovered an organic co op right down the road from us on Saturdays. This was our very first half share that we got. Check out that butternut squash!!! Turns out it is Rawfully Organic and it is actually very large with almost 5000 members in Houston! Kristina who started it has been on TV, magazines, radio, and teaches cooking classes about eating raw.
This was another week's half share. It is all organic and local when possible. The best thing about the Co op is that it forced me to try new foods because we paid for them and I needed to use them! WE LOVE Kale now, collard greens make it into our soups and pot roasts, Broccolini is yummy baked (so is broccoli), and I have made numerous squash soups and baked squash (in chunks- SO yummy) for many dinners and even for friends!
The food is fresher and actually tastes better too!
This was one Sat. when it was raining and they had to do the co op in the garage!
I wanted to make sprinkles for Allie that were natural and did not use artificial dyes (especially Red 40) so after looking around on the Internet, I found out you can use beets! I just cut up a beet into 1 inch chunks and put the coarse sugar granules in and mixed! Let it dry on a cookie sheet then store!
And I was so pleasantly surprised! I also wanted to take on to Allie's school because I had signed up to bring sprinkles for the Valentine's party.
Allie and I also made completely from scratch Peanut butter cups and chocolate covered strawberries! (sugar drying on the right). Everything was SUPER yummy. A bit more work- but so worth it!
I have been making Kale crispies a lot and I experimented with purple Kale! They were pretty but I think I like the green better!
And these cupcakes were from Allie's birthday. Totally from scratch with all organic ingredients. And to make the pink frosting... Beets again! Same concept but put the chunks in the frosting and add more sugar to keep the constancy.
So hopefully soon I will do another post on all the reasons WHY we are switching so many things! It really will amaze you once you start investigating what is truly in our food and how disgusting it is!!!!! Now when I eat artificial stuff (almost everything in the grocery store) I don't like it and I am very aware that I am putting crap into my body! I no longer think "oh I want to eat that... I DON'T and I don't miss it!
Plus, you can find a natural substitute for almost everything. It may cost more or take more time to make, but it is SO worth it especially in the long run when you learn what it does to our bodies. So stay tuned and I will start working on the next food post!








2 comments:
Looking good over there!! Lots of yummy stuff! (esp the cupcakes! ha!)
Looks like you are doing a WONDERFUL JOB! I've visited Rawfully Organic a couple of times, but I live in Pearland (kinda far) I'll be following your post. I found it through Peggi. I too need to update my website. Thanks for posting. - Shonda (www.rawfoodanddrinks.com)
Post a Comment